By Robyn Alright
I used to run myself raggedy. I thought that taking a break equated to being unproductive. I’ve learned that quite the opposite is true. Taking a break and treating yourself can actually increase and maintain productivity. It also keeps you from experiencing burn-out. This is why self-care is so important. Self-care can help you to focus, manage your emotions and possibly prevent you from slapping the hell out of that annoying co-worker.
We give so much to our families, our jobs and our community that we sometimes forget to give to ourselves. One cannot pour from an empty cup. To help recharge your mental batteries, here are 21 easy and cost-effective ways to practice self-care. Let’s stay sane and energized.
- Buy yourself some flowers.
- Visit an art museum.
- Walk around a farmers market.
- Get some henna or a temporary tattoo (or a real one).
- Meditate or pray.
- Write yourself a love letter.
- Look through your favorite fashion magazine or blog (cough, rockymae.com, cough).
- De-clutter your surroundings.
- Blast your favorite song and start dancing.
- Sing out loud.
- Go for a walk in a park or on the beach.
- Draw, doodle or paint.
- Watch funny videos or motivational TED talks on YouTube.
- Fire up some incense or light your favorite scented candle.
- Give yourself a mani-pedi.
- Make yourself your favorite cup of tea or coffee.
- Cook your favorite meal.
- Practice yoga or just stretch.
- Try a new hairstyle.
- Take a bubble bath.
- Write a poem.
Stay well my friends. Don’t forget to take care of yourself. You are important.